Once you have homemade marshmallows, you will never go back to store bought again! This is a basic marshmallow recipe with just 5 ingredients and is so versatile.
Homemade marshmallows are soft and sweet. Have fun with the recipe using different shaped cookie cutters, flavors and colors.
Use your homemade marshmallows in your hot cocoa, s'mores, rice krispies treats and more! We love making them for our guests!
There are 5 simple ingredients to this recipe, no corn syrup or artificial flavors.
How to Make Homemade Marshmallows
This recipe makes 8 large marshmallows
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Resting time: 2 hours Total time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
You will need the following Ingredients:
1 box (.25oz) of unflavored gelatin
2 cups of sugar
Pinch of salt
½ cup Powdered sugar for dusting
1 tsp vanilla, optional
1. Combine box of gelatin and 1/2 cup of water in stand mixer bowl. Let’s sit and solidify for about 5 minutes while melting sugar.
2. In a saucepan on high heat combine sugar with 1/4 cup of water. Do not stir, stirring will make crystals form.
3. Melt the sugar until temperature reaches 240 degrees or the softball mark on a candy thermometer.
4. Once temperature is achieved, pour the sugar mixture over the bowl of gelatin while mixing on medium with whisk. After mixing together, set mixer on high and let mix for 10 minutes or until marshmallow fluff forms. For flavoring option, add vanilla at the point of whipping.
5. In 9 x 9 pan, grease with oil then dust with powdered sugar.
Pour whipped marshmallow into the pan and coat top of marshmallow with a dusting of powdered sugar.
6. Let marshmallows sit for a couple of hours before removing, cutting and serving.
While we cut our marshmallows into 8 separate squares, feel free to make yours smaller (better for s'mores) or larger as needed.
Here are a few tips for cutting your marshmallows:
Because these marshmallows are pretty sticky, instead of a knife, use kitchen shears or a pizza cutter. Spray them with a little non-stick spray or use powdered sugar.
How do I add color or different flavors to my marshmallows?
When your marshmallow fluff is almost done mixing, add in a few drops of your food coloring. If you would like to add a different flavor, simply swap out the vanilla extract for an extract of your choice.
How do I store my homemade marshmallows?
First, give your marshmallows a quick, light coat in powdered sugar to prevent them from sticking together. Then store your marshmallows in an airtight container. Keep your marshmallows at room temperature for 2-3 weeks. You can also store your marshmallows into a freezer safe bag.
Can you use homemade marshmallows in S'mores?
Absolutely! It's encouraged in fact! We are pretty sure here at the farm that once you make s'mores with homemade marshmallows you will never use anything else ever again!